Gutenberg 16.1 was launched this week, debuting of the Sample Library, which coincides with reusable blocks getting renamed to synced patterns. Customers can now create and handle their very own patterns that can even present up within the block inserter. Customized patterns are saved to the brand new Library alongside customized template elements.
This launch additionally provides a brand new Distraction Free mode to the Web site Editor, which removes all controls and menus, functioning in an identical option to the mode added to the content material editor in October 2022. The mode could be accessed beneath the extra menu of the Web site Editor.
Automattic-sponsored engineer Andrei Draganescu submitted the PR for the function and cited three the explanation why the Web site Editor may gain advantage from a Distraction Free mode:
- As a result of distraction free work is an effective surroundings to domesticate
- As a result of the command middle makes full chrome UI ineffective for energy customers
- As a result of it allows a extremely 1:1 preview – whereas sustaining all the pieces editable
Draganescu revealed a video of the Distraction Free mode working in live performance with the brand new Command Palette:
One other new function on this launch is automated footnotes.* Customers can add them by highlighting the textual content and deciding on Footnote from the formatting menu. This can robotically insert the be aware and create a Footnote block on the backside of the content material. (This block could be moved.)
Footnotes could be added inside paragraph, heading, and checklist blocks, and are saved as put up meta. The Footnote block doesn’t appear to be accessible within the block inserter. It’s robotically created and inserted with the primary footnote.
A couple of different notable options on this launch embody the next:
- Stay block theme previewing within the Web site Editor moved out of experimental stage, obtainable for block themes beneath Look > Themes
- Web site Editor sidebar now shows template and settings configuration particulars for the house and index templates
- Facet ratio controls added to Picture block
Gutenberg 16.1 is included within the upcoming WordPress 6.3 launch, however if you wish to benefit from these options earlier than August, you will want to be utilizing the plugin or test 6.3 Beta 2. Take a look at the release post for the complete changelog that features all the newest enhancements, bug fixes, and efficiency and accessibility enhancements.