Gutenberg 15.7 was launched this week, adding Site Logo upload and replacement from the inspector controls sidebar. This characteristic remains to be out there within the block toolbar nevertheless it appears like a pure addition to the inspector, because it was beforehand out there in a similar way within the Customizer. Right here customers can simply modify the brand width and set whether or not the picture hyperlinks to residence, opens in a brand new tab, and extra.
Model 15.7 modified the conduct of the highest toolbar fastened setting to deal with a couple of points outlined by Gutenberg lead architect Matias Ventura.
“The highest toolbar has stagnated a bit whereas the characteristic set of the editor has advanced,” Ventura mentioned. He recognized the 2 most vital points this design change solves – the dearth of a father or mother selector for nested blocks and the general enhance within the editor’s UI footprint. The toolbar has been up to date within the following methods:
- updates on desktop sized viewports the place of the fastened toolbar
- updates the z-index of the interface header to be decrease to that block toolbar reveals up on prime
- implements a toggle expanded/collapsed for block contextual toolbar
This alteration would require suggestions from Gutenberg plugin customers, as suggestions amongst contributors has been combined to this point. WordPress core committer and accessibility contributor Andrea Fercia weighed in on the PR, suggesting it requires extra testing:
A11y-wise there are extra points with this implementation on the level that I wouldn’t know the place to start out. Some fast testing with the keyboard surfaces solely among the most evident ones. I’d encourage everybody to check this new UI with the keyboard first to get an concept of the principle points in order that we will proceed the dialog with some extra context.
On prime of keyboard navigation, there are different points associated to the
NavigableToolbarARIA toolbar utilization, placement of parts within the DOM, utilization of the icons, and many others.
In case you have been following the progress on the experimental Command Heart, introduced in version 15.6 as a fast seek for leaping to different pages or templates, the design has been updated to match new mockups. Customers will discover delicate variations, like tweaks to the radius and borders, icons for every command, and outcomes solely out there when the enter just isn’t empty.
A number of different highlights from model 15.7 embrace the next:
- Duotone filter controls added to dam sidebar (Previous to this variation, the one place to edit the duotone filters was on a block degree.)
- Fluid typography up to date to scale massive fonts down for smaller screens utilizing a logarithmic scale issue to calculate a minimal font dimension
- Picture placeholders now present customized borders
- Template sample suggestion modal now makes use of a masonry structure
Try the Gutenberg 15.7 release post and changelog for extra particulars on all of the adjustments in tooling, code high quality, efficiency, accessibility, documentation, and extra.