Should you produce any visible content material on your WordPress web site, you most likely fear about individuals pinching it to make use of as their very own. However there’s a easy approach to scale back the chance of that occuring – by utilizing a WordPress watermark plugin.
What’s a Watermark?
Have you ever ever held a banknote as much as the sunshine and observed a translucent picture, sample, or inscription embedded into the paper on which it’s printed? Equally, good-quality writing paper typically has the model brand faintly embedded in it. These are watermarks, a reputation that comes from how they’re created within the paper-making course of.
Watermarks are safety features which have been used for hundreds of years to guarantee high quality and authenticity and thereby forestall counterfeits.
Nevertheless, because the counterfeiters have turn into extra technologically superior, so have the watermarks used to discourage them. They’ve gone from bodily logos and textual content embedded into paper to semi-transparent overlays that sit on prime of digital pictures.
Right here’s an instance of a modern-day watermark:
Why Do We Want Watermarks?
Sadly, many individuals are blissfully unaware of copyright legal guidelines, serving to themselves to photographs from different web sites to make use of as their very own. Worse nonetheless are these totally conscious of the legal guidelines however nonetheless steal the photographs anyway.
Sadly, copyright is a extremely complicated topic. The truth is, I gained’t even try to clarify it right here. Nevertheless, typically talking, until you might be 100% positive a picture can be utilized with out specific permission, don’t even contemplate copying it.
Statistics present the staggering scale of the issue. Based on the Copytrack Global Infringement Report 2019, round two and a half billion pictures are stolen each day. Extra alarmingly is the the misplaced income from license violations of these pictures, which is estimated to quantity to round €532.5 billion every day.
Word that whereas digital watermarks can go a way in the direction of stopping individuals from utilizing content material with out permission, they can’t forestall theft altogether. Nevertheless, they may make life tough for the thief, who might want to do a number of modifying to take away the watermark. Nevertheless, most individuals are usually not that decided and can discover another poor blighter with unprotected pictures to steal from.
Who Makes use of Watermarks?
The commonest customers of digital watermarks are photographers, artists, and galleries who show or promote pictures on their web sites. Sadly, as a result of they often have unique items of labor that no person else has, picture thieves typically goal them. Nevertheless, digital watermarks can profit different sorts of web sites additionally.
Article Continues Beneath
For instance, I run a few eCommerce merchandise shops and create designs from scratch. Sadly, with the recognition of print-on-demand, it appears everyone seems to be opening on-line t-shirt shops, and plenty of retailer house owners fortunately pinch concepts from others. Subsequently, watermarking pictures in my retailer is a no brainer.
I additionally know a really gifted wigmaker. He posts glorious pictures of his completed items on his weblog and social media. However, in fact, inside days, those self same pictures invariably seem on the Instagram feeds of business wig producers. These unscrupulous producers are usually not simply stealing his photos, however in addition they mislead their prospects into considering they’re getting the identical high quality product.
Really useful Watermark Plugins for WordPress
I’m now going to indicate you some plugins you could add to your WordPress web site to guard your pictures with watermarks. There are free, freemium, and premium choices, so you need to discover one thing to suit your funds.
Picture Watermark is a free WordPress plugin for including watermarks to photographs, both manually or mechanically. The plugin means that you can freely select the watermarks’ location, dimension, and opacity. Moreover, the watermarks can scale with the picture dimension, and it’s doable to limit them for particular publish sorts.
Picture Watermark is a good choice if you might want to watermark your pictures however don’t want to put money into a premium plugin. What’s extra, regardless of being utterly free, it has a wonderful characteristic set.
- Bulk actions for watermarking pictures already in your WordPress media library
- Detachable watermarks
- Configurable watermark offset, opacity, and place
- Three watermark sizes (unique, customized, or scaled)
- Configurable picture high quality (decrease high quality is an extra theft deterrent)
- Disable proper mouse click on on pictures to stop copying to clipboard
- Picture safety could be disabled for logged-in customers
- Watermarks could be disabled for particular publish sorts
- Picture Watermark is free, with no premium upgrades out there. It’s out there for obtain both immediately from the developer’s web site or the WordPress plugin listing.
WP Picture Album Plus
Staying with free plugins for the second, now we have WP Picture Album Plus. Because the title implies, the principle function of this one is so as to add picture albums to your WordPress web site. Nevertheless, it additionally consists of versatile instruments for including picture watermarks.
An in depth backend consists of quite a few settings for albums and picture configurations. The watermark submenu means that you can add your individual watermark pictures, regulate issues like dimension, location, colours, fonts (in case you are utilizing a textual content slightly than a picture watermark), and far more.
Moreover, the plugin’s picture album options are plentiful, permitting you to create limitless albums and sub-albums containing any kind of media file.
WP Picture Album Plus is a wonderful choice if you might want to handle tons of pictures and different media recordsdata.
- Varied configurations for issues resembling watermark dimension, shade, opacity, foreground and background colours, and so forth.
- Add watermarks to thumbnails
- Facility to add your individual watermark picture or use a text-based one
- Intensive picture album options included limitless albums and sub-albums, bulk imports, remark moderation, searches, built-in Google Maps, and so forth.
- Varied picture and album restriction configurations
- Subscriber electronic mail notifications for brand new albums, new pictures, and so forth.
- WP Picture Album Plus is a totally free WordPress picture watermark plugin, with no premium upgrades out there.
Product Watermark for WooCommerce
Sadly, WooCommerce shops are sometimes targets of picture thieves additionally, and so are logical candidates for watermark plugins.
Product Watermark for WooCommerce is one such WordPress plugin that helps you forestall others stealing pictures out of your WooCommerce retailer. Including the watermarks is simple, and they are often both an organization brand, copyright image, firm brand, or textual content.
Key Options of the Free Model
- Shortly add watermarks to WooCommerce product pictures
- Customizable watermark place
- Configurable opacity
- Customized CSS for entrance finish pages
Key Options of the Premium Model
- The flexibility so as to add completely different watermarks to completely different picture sorts
- Configurable watermark dimension
- Selection of 5 watermarks
- Textual content watermarks with adjustable font shade, dimension, and opacity
- The core Product Watermark for WooCommerce is free. Nevertheless, the premium model prices $34 for a single web site, rising to $109 for ten domains. Moreover, the premium model has a 30-day moneyback assure.
Simple Watermark is a well-liked free plugin that makes youngster’s play of including watermarks to photographs.
You may manually or mechanically add brand or text-based watermarks, whereas the majority actions characteristic means that you can add them to all current pictures in your media library, too. Loads of freedom is given to the location of the marks and the way they appear, whereas watermarking actions could be role-restricted.
- Picture (JPG, PNG, or GIF) or text-based watermarks
- Configurable transparency and opacity (relying on the kind of watermark picture used)
- 9 watermark positions and configurable dimension
- Textual content watermark helps ten fashionable fonts with configurable shade, dimension, and rotation
- Potential to dynamically add the title of the consumer importing the picture and the date to the textual content watermark
- You may add watermarks to all picture sizes integral to WordPress, together with these from themes or plugins
- Picture backups
- Simple Watermark is fully free, with no premium improve out there.
With the ultimate plugin of this checklist, I’m throwing warning to the wind just a little as Final Watermark is a comparatively new plugin. As a result of it has solely been round for a few 12 months, it doesn’t but benefit from the giant followings of its extra mature opponents.
Nevertheless, the explanation for Final Watermark’s inclusion on this checklist is it has an attention-grabbing characteristic set. Moreover, additionally it is (presently) free, making it worthy of a second look.
The plugin will mechanically watermark new pictures as you add them to your media library, whereas current ones could be processed as a bulk motion. The watermark picture could be scaled and positioned as required, and the opacity can be adjustable.
Moreover, it’s doable to allow or disable right-clicking to stop customers from copying pictures to their clipboards.
- Single picture watermark with dynamic place and settings
- Bulk actions for including and eradicating watermarks
- Full picture backups
- Picture safety options together with proper click on disable
- Potential to pick the publish kind and completely different picture sizes for watermarking
- Help for GD & ImageMagic Library
- Baseline and progressive picture codecs
- Final Watermark is free with no premium improve out there.
WooCommerce Product Picture Watermark Plugin
WooCommerce Product Picture Watermark plugin is one other plugin to assist forestall others from stealing your eCommerce product pictures through picture or textual content watermarks.
What’s cool about this plugin is you may create guidelines to limit the addition of watermarks solely to particular merchandise or complete classes. Moreover, you may mechanically add watermarks to numerous picture sorts (product pictures and pop-ups, catalog thumbnails, and so forth.)
- Varied configurations for issues resembling font, dimension, shade, and opacity
- 9 watermark positions to decide on fro
- Single or repeat watermarks
- Add watermarks to particular merchandise or classes
- Chance to have separate watermarks for product thumbnails and the corresponding pop-up pictures
- Your store and catalog can have both the identical or completely different watermarks
- Potential to use watermarks to easy and variable merchandise
- WooCommerce Product Picture Watermark is a premium-only plugin costing $39 from Code Canyon. That worth consists of future updates and 6 months of assist, the latter being extendible to 1 12 months for a further $12.75.
WaterMark PDF for WooCommerce
Confusingly, this plugin is known as WaterMark PDF for WooCommerce within the WordPress plugin listing, however the premium model is known as WaterWoo on the developer’s web site.
Both means, this plugin is completely different from the others listed as far as it means that you can watermark one thing else individuals typically copy with out permission – PDF paperwork that you just promote (or give away) in your WooCommerce retailer.
To discourage unauthorized copying, a watermark is added to all pages of the PDFs as soon as the sale is accomplished. Moreover, a variety of customizations is feasible: font, shade, dimension, location, and so forth. Furthermore, it’s doable so as to add buyer information resembling title and electronic mail to the watermark. Fairly neat, proper?
The one draw back of WaterMark PDF for WooCommerce is it makes use of open supply TCPDI and TCPDF libraries to customise the paperwork. Sadly, these can endure glitches, primarily if the PDF is poorly formatted or accommodates glitches, or your host server has restrictions on the scale of recordsdata it will possibly course of.
Key Options of the Free Model
- You may specify which PDFs are to obtain watermarks
- Big selection of watermark placement prospects to swimsuit completely different paper sizes
- Configurable font, shade, and dimension
- As soon as offered, watermarks are added mechanically to all pages of the PDF
- Potential to dynamically add buyer information (first and final title, electronic mail handle, date of the order fee, and phone quantity)
Key Options of the Premium Model
- Potential to begin the watermark from a particular web page and to watermark each web page, or solely odd and even pages
- Add particular person watermarks and set passwords per product or product variation
- An extra rotatable watermark location, permitting for as much as two watermarks places per web page
- Proper-to-left (RTL) watermarking for alphabets resembling Arabic
- Non-obligatory password safety/permissions for PDFs
- Extra textual content formatting choices, together with semi-opaque watermarks
- Potential to dynamically add buyer information fields
- Check or manually add watermarks from the admin panel
- The core WaterMark PDF for WooCommerce plugin is free. Moreover, the premium model prices $80 for a single web site, $120 for 2 to 5 domains, and $200 for as much as twenty.
Have You Used a WordPress Watermark Plugin?
When you have been the sufferer of picture theft or plagiarism out of your web site, you’ll recognize how infuriating it’s.
Sadly, there seems to be a standard false impression these days that as a result of one thing is digital, it have to be free. Sadly, individuals who suppose like that fail to appreciate that it takes as a lot effort and time to create digital content material and media because the bodily equivalents till it occurs to them.
In case you are not presently defending your images and different content material with watermarks, I hope this text has impressed you to think about doing so. Nevertheless, in case you are already utilizing a WordPress watermark plugin, I’d love to listen to which one, alongside along with your experiences with it to date.